Consistent tone and censorship

Feel free to share your idea for game improvement if you have one!
M'igo Kazan
Taernian the refugee

Consistent tone and censorship

Post by M'igo Kazan »

The game is full of whores, bitches, gore, drugs, nudity and other dark, mature stuff, but it bleeps out words like fuck and shit, and you can get banned for quoting the game and its NPCs, because "don't be vulgar"? This is just silly. The game's tone is inconsistent, the constant bleeping out disrupts any sort of possible immersion and realism, and it just feels like a constant minefield where you never know what you can or can't say, because you can't rely on the game and its surrounding media to figure out what the "target audience" is

Can you imagine Game of Thrones would have been as much of a (relative) success as it was if it'd bleeped out all the swears and "vulgar language"? Of course not! Either go all the way and make it a PG, everyday fantasy game, or go all the way and make it a mature game like it was obviously designed to be, but don't half-ass it and get it stuck halfway between two completely different target audiences, and thus doom it to fail because you couldn't commit to either

Allowing the game to be mature as the design intends doesn't mean the chat will automatically devolve into a shitshow (that just comes with online media in general, no matter the rating), it just means you'll respect the players' intelligence, instead of treating them like children
May Time, ever fleeting, forgive us
We who have forsaken your Song, and buried our future
yagami351
Taernian with basic skills

Re: Consistent tone and censorship

Post by yagami351 »

M'igo Kazan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:35 am The game is full of whores, bitches, gore, drugs, nudity and other dark, mature stuff, but it bleeps out words like fuck and shit, and you can get banned for quoting the game and its NPCs, because "don't be vulgar"? This is just silly. The game's tone is inconsistent, the constant bleeping out disrupts any sort of possible immersion and realism, and it just feels like a constant minefield where you never know what you can or can't say, because you can't rely on the game and its surrounding media to figure out what the "target audience" is

Can you imagine Game of Thrones would have been as much of a (relative) success as it was if it'd bleeped out all the swears and "vulgar language"? Of course not! Either go all the way and make it a PG, everyday fantasy game, or go all the way and make it a mature game like it was obviously designed to be, but don't half-ass it and get it stuck halfway between two completely different target audiences, and thus doom it to fail because you couldn't commit to either

Allowing the game to be mature as the design intends doesn't mean the chat will automatically devolve into a shitshow (that just comes with online media in general, no matter the rating), it just means you'll respect the players' intelligence, instead of treating them like children
Personally, I prefer that the chat remains correct, being vulgar is not vital as far as I know... and I do not want to evolve within a community such as this one. Indeed there is a gulf between the childish behavior of many characters in the game and the way of speaking of other characters in the game and it sounds false, it sometimes seems that the game was made by 2 different teams. I understand your point of view but if tomorrow I had to see trash talk coming on the game chat, I would not come back on the game. So yes, the quests are well written but I would have liked more seriousness and maturity sometimes, I'll deal with it.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”