The AP system...

Feel free to share your idea for game improvement if you have one!
Vergotard
Taernian with basic skills

The AP system...

Post by Vergotard »

I find that the AP system to increase the chances of hitting or defending is very cumbersome.

My chance to hit should only be set based on my stats and the stats of the enemy, just like in any RPG. Making this system dynamic terribly weighs down the fights. It's unnecessary extra complexity, not fun, not interesting. I don't see how it adds depth to gameplay or tactics since it's hidden. This only reinforces the randomness. Randomness is very good, it takes some for a game to be fun, but here it's too much!

A turn-based game has the huge advantage of being able to be purely strategic/tactical (no need to be fast). But increasing the randomness with the AP system nullifies this advantage!
So in addition to weighing down the interface and the gameplay, the AP system destroys the tactical aspect of the game
(in PvP).

:roll:
Last edited by Vergotard on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
z00t
Still in prologue

Re: This is why I wouldn't play Broken Ranks

Post by z00t »

AP system is very akin to DnD and rolling dice. In DnD, it's not just based on your stats alone, but the luck of the dice rolls.

Sorry it didn't work out for you :(
Vergotard

Post by Vergotard »

In classic RPG, you do not modify your chance to hit during a fight.
Last edited by Vergotard on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onion
Kemenac visitor

Post by Onion »

Vergotard wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am My chance to hit should be set based on my stats and the stats of the enemy, just like in any RPG.
It is, your agility, knowledge, lvl, mental resistance, defense modification, attack modification, skill modification and a lot of psycho bonus are the components of your attack or defense.
Att=(40 + stats + level) * AP * (AttMod) * SklMod
Def=(40 + stats + level) * AP * (DefMod)
Hit chance=Att/(Att+Def)
It is short version, I don't want to put there all details. AP is really important but not only that matter.

Combat system is the core of the game and for me is one of the best I have played. If we change it to classic turn, well, i don't feel it. Now you can surprise your opponent by using non-main zone. Action should be set in the right order and if you play with group is also important who end turn first. In game are a lot of skills which counter other and work mainly if you play it in the same round. We have zone order, mental attack comes first, distance second and melee last. Setting a defense is really unique, it works so well beacause every player may attack in the same round.

You must grind if you want to develop your character, we should spend in combat as little time as it possible. Players really don't want to achieve everything longer. For you is only few seconds, for the rest is hours of grinding.
Vergotard

Post by Vergotard »

I still think the AP system is too cumbersome. I don't really like having to modify my defenses or my chances of hitting "on the fly".

In any case, what is certain is that this AP system is very disturbing for a new player. And I'm not sure it brings that much depth... I just imagine a fight without the AP system and I think it would be simpler/fluid/ergonomic/less cumbersome UI/etc.. I would definitely prefer. Less is better sometimes. And again, I don't see what this brings to the gameplay since everything is hidden. It's still super random.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”